First off, a quick and dirty THANK YOU to those book clubs who have chosen Out of Play for one of their reads. I have enjoyed visiting with you and responding to your questions.
If you are in southern Alberta, southern British Columbia or southern Saskatchewan, it is possible for me to visit your book club with advance notice. If you are further away, I am also happy to participate via Skype, Webex, FaceTime, or by email. To arrange a time, visit my contact page.
For those book clubs looking for conversation ideas, here are some questions or activities you may want to consider:
- Ahead of your discussion, visit a craft store and pick up press-on gems and plastic goblets. Decorate some medieval goblets with your book friends and send me a photo. I cannot guarantee they will be larp certified, but they will make me smile. And besides, gemstones. Who doesn't need more gemstones in their life?
- If you had an opportunity to try larp, what kind of character would you want to be? What time period or fantasy world? Have your book club members write their answers on a piece of paper and put them in a wine goblet (an empty one!). Try and guess who said what.
- Gillian has a strong reaction to a loss she experienced. She has withdrawn from activities and people she used to enjoy. What other ways have you seen people react to loss?
- Who else in the book experienced loss, or feared loss? Who did you most relate to and why? Consider: Ralph, Bendar, Jaspreet, Ariana, Mrs. Singh, Mr. Singh.
- In what ways have you put off or avoided dealing with an emotional loss? When were you 'out of play' in your own life?
- Both Ralph and Gillian have discovered interests they enjoy. What are some unusual hobbies you’ve found surprisingly freeing?
- Jas is faced with several competing demands for her time and attention. But Gillian? Not so much. Is there a happy balance that can be found in life, and if so, have you discovered it?
- One of the main themes in Out of Play is disconnection. How have your relationships changed because of difficult circumstances out of your control?